After deciding that we wanted more out of our blog we started looking at what we were doing and what we could do differently to increase results. We looked at our blog length, we determined that it wasn’t too long or short, right around 500 to 1000 words per post. We felt we were producing quality content that people wanted to read and we were already sharing them on our social platforms. So what was the key secret that was causing our blog to fail?
It didn’t take long for us to come across the problem. It wasn’t that we weren’t taking advantage of social media share tools that allow our readers to easily share our articles to their favorite platforms. It also wasn’t that we were creating boring, unattractive titles, no our titles were short, to the point and made people want to open the articles. So what was the problem causing us not to see an increase of traffic or results from our efforts?
After reviewing our blogging strategy, the only thing we could see that we didn’t have was a posting schedule. We were not consistent with our blogging efforts. This caused us to fail for several reasons.
- Without a clear schedule of when we were posting, we found that at times weeks would go in between each update.
- The readers that we were attracting didn’t stick around because they didn’t know when the next update would be.
- Our articles weren’t being indexed as high from Google or other search engines because we weren’t updating our site’s content frequently enough.
- It was clear to our readers that we weren’t taking blogging serious, and the results showed us the same thing.
Once we had determined that we needed to create a schedule, we discussed how many blog posts we could commit to. We decide that we could guarantee that we could publish at least one blog post per week. Next we picked a day of the week we’d publish our blogs. This did two things for us:
- By having a specific day each week we publish our posts on, we could plan our time accordingly to make sure the blog post got done on time.
- By publishing the blog post on the same day each week, our readers would be able to make sure they come to our website that day each week to see the new content.
Since we have generated our posting schedule and committed to it, we have seen our traffic continually increase and our site’s overall search engine rankings improve. We also see a huge spike in traffic every Tuesday, proving that our readers truly are waiting and expecting to see our new article each week.
We’d love to continue the conversation, in the comments field tell us what your biggest secret to blogging success is!