At Social Brothers, we do things a little differently. We understand that each network can be used as a tool to help build and support your brand. Each network has it’s advantages, unique user base and almost always a place in any business. However, this doesn’t mean that your small business should join every network, not right away at least.
Instead, it is a much wiser move to join one or maybe two networks and learn the ins and outs of those networks. Focus your efforts on building your audience on these networks and create a solid strategy around these profiles. With this approach you will be able devote your time and energy on one platform, instead of several, giving you a higher chance for results.
When determining which network you’re going to use for your business make sure you take several factors into consideration. Some areas we’d recommend looking at are:
- Which network you are most familiar and comfortable on already
- Which network your target market is most likely going to be spending their time on
- Which network is best for reaching your social media related goals
- How you’re planning to build your audience
Once you know the answers to these questions, it won’t take more than a little research to determine the best network for your small business. Now that you know which network you’re going to use, make sure you devote your time to learning the ins and outs of the network. In order for your business to be able to see the best results, you will want to know how the network functions. A few key items you’ll want to make sure you know are:
- Is there a separate profile/area for businesses
- What branding and customizing options are available to your business
- How can you integrate into your website and other marketing material
- How can you build your audience with your target market
- How often should you be posting status updates to your profile
Need help finding the answers to these questions? ‘Like’ us on Facebook and ask your questions by posting directly to our Timeline!
The last thing you want to remember when getting involved with social media is that takes time to see the benefits and results from your efforts. You are not going to jump on any social network and see a flood of new customers or traffic to your website overnight. Be patient and consistent with your efforts and you see how social media can benefit your small business. On average, we tell our clients that it can take 3-6 months depending on your business to really start seeing the benefits from social media. The good news is, once you start seeing the results, you’ll see it continuously from that point on.
Do you agree with our approach, or do you think that small businesses should join multiple networks right from the beginning? Share your opinion in the comments field below!