By now I am sure that you have noticed that Facebook as added a “Photo Banner” at the top of each profile. What you may not know is that you can actually choose which 5 photos appear in this banner and in what order. This means you can create a custom Photo Banner. So why does this matter?
Well, if you are a business owner this is just one more area you can help brand your service, product or event and if you are an individual you can have a lot of fun with this. I am going to teach you how you can manually create these Photo Banners immediately. By the way, for this article we are just going to focus on personal profiles, not Fan Pages.
First lets look at why you might want to create a custom photo banner or at least be aware of why the photos currently in the banner are there. Below you will see what my personal photo banner looked like prior to me taking control of it.
As you can see there are about 5 photos on there that I would probably not have chosen to be the first thing people look at when visiting my profile, although, the back of my head does look great! Now, lets take a look at what my Photo Banner looks like after spending a little time with it.
You can see that my Photo Banner now adds to my profile and helps my network get to know me. Enough looking at my profile, lets learn how you can do the same thing!
1. Decide how you want your banner to look. There is no limit to the number of things you can do.
2. Once you have decided how you want your banner to look you need to create a solid banner to start with. Make the banner 490 x 68 for best results
3. Next you will want to layout your design, in the example above I added my words describing me
4. Now that you have the finished solid banner you need to cutout each photo, any photo editing software will work. I use Roxio. Cutout each photo so that it is 97 x 68, this size photo will make sure the entire image will show up in the Photo Banner.
5. The next step is uploading these photos to your profile, do this how you would any other photo (need help uploading a photo, email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org). I would recommend creating a new Photo Album to ensure to keep the photos straight.
6. This step is possibly the most important step. The Photo Banner is created by the last photos you were Tagged in. So, this step is Tagging the photos, but make sure you do them in the right order. The photo that you are LAST Tagged in will always appear in the far left corner. So, you have to look at your banner and Tag yourself in the far right photo first. Repeat this Tagging for each photo, starting right and working your way left. Below you will see the order you need to Tag yourself in order to achieve the correct layout in your Photo Banner.
Be sure to Tag each photo individually by using the Tag Button below the photo on the left and then using the Done Tagging button located in the same spot. You are now able to create custom Facebook Photo Banners on your personal profiles.
However, because the order of the photos is dependent on the last 5 photos you were Tagged in your Photo Banner can easily be interrupted when friends Tag you in their photos without maintaining your banner.
Maintaining your Photo Banner is simple. When a friend Tags you in a photo it will appear in the far left part of your banner, simply go to your profile page and place your cursor (mouse) over the photo. In the top right hand corner an “x” will appear, this is to hide the photo. By simply clicking the “x’ your friends photo will be removed from the banner and it will once again look how you want it to.
This is the hard way of creating these custom Photo Banners on your personal profiles, there is a much easier way to do it. Leave a comment below the article and share your thoughts and ideas you have for custom banners, if we reach at least 5 comments we will reveal the easiest way to create a custom banner with just a few clicks of your mouse!